Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Schools out for the summer......

Don't tell me you didn't sing that title as you read it!  School is definitely out and the volume in our house has increased tremendously!  I will start with the end of school awards and graduation. Yes- my big baby boy graduated from kindergarten!  This was such a good year for Ian and we were BLESSED to have Mrs. Byerly as his teacher. 

Ian was selected for the top reader award and the citizen award in his class.  I remember the first couple of weeks when he brought home a book he would be in tears after just a couple of pages. He had no confidence in himself and would immediately shut down saying he couldn't do it. Sometime the second week, he went to school after reading his book the night before very poorly. He came home the next day and he read the same story with not one mistake!  We asked him if he read the story a lot that day with his teacher and he said 'no- we just read it one time'.  Something finally clicked with him and he never looked back!  I am a reader so it has especially been fun for me to watch his confidence grow as he learns he can do it and half way enjoy reading!  Here he is with his diploma and awards. 

Here is another one that has been very influential for Ian as he started school two years ago but it started way before that. Mr. Powell has been around Ian and loved on him and tried to get me to put him in school ;-) since the day he was born. He is one of the reasons Ian had absolutely no reserve about going to Pre-K..... Mr. Powell was right down the hall so it must be an ok place. Thank you Mr. Powell for the relationship you cultivated with our kids- our family will miss you!


A couple of weeks before school was out he told me he was ready for school to be out so he didn't have to wake up. One of the last days of school when I was putting him to bed, he got very sad and said he wasn't ready for school to be out. I asked him why and he said, "if school is out that means I have to go to first grade.  I don't want to go to first grade because that means I won't be with Mrs. Byerly anymore." Change is always hard but I know he will embrace first grade and love his new teacher.  


No comments:

Post a Comment