Wednesday, March 7, 2012
How we got here.....
I thought while we were waiting for some news I would talk a little bit about how we got to where we are. Kendon and I have said we wanted two or three kids..... We would go back and forth a lot.... But usually leaned towards three. After we had Kinzlee, we were pretty certain we wanted to have three. Adoption was something that I always talked to my mom about when I was growing up... My heart was always there it just wasnt ever a real reality for me. I honestly hadn't even given it a whole lot of thought since Kendon and I have been married except the very occasional fleeting thought. On August 21, 2011, a video was shown at church advertising the upcoming class being offered from Dave Ramsey. In that video, he was talking about all the things you could do if you were debt free- one of those things was being able to offer a home to a child that didn't have one. Of course, this pulled at my heart and I looked up at Kendon and he had tears welling up also (yes, he is a bit of a softie- and I love it!). So I asked him if he would ever want to adopt a baby and he said, " I'm not opposed to it.". A couple of days later, I asked him if he had given any more thought to adoption and he said he really hadn't but that he wanted another child of our own. That day, i simply wrote the prayer of my heart in my journal, "God, if this is you, I pray that you will impress it upon Kendons heart as well and that you will lead us to the place and child that you have already chosen for us." In my journal on August 24, 2011, I wrote, "committing this to prayer, if it is meant to be then doors will be opened and it will be heavy on Kendons heart.". So, the praying began.......
On December 5, 2001, Kendon told me he wanted me to put something at the top of my prayer list..... Adoption! I very quickly and with tear filled eyes told him it had been there already for the last four months. He said he wasn't real sure about it but wanted us to pray about it. I told him when he was ready to talk more about it to let me know- I wasn't going to bug him about it. I also asked him if he recalled the conversation we had in August, he said "very vaguely". I didnt expect any news about it anytime soon..... Was I wrong!!! The next day, he said he was away to talk more- he had a complete peace. When I asked about not having any more of "our own", this is what he said, "this one is going to be mine. Love doesn't have anything to do with blood line. That is the peace I have received. I will have just as much joy seeing him catch a touchdown as I will Ian or her hitting a big shot as Kinzlee".
It was very clear to us at this point that God was leading us in this direction. This post is very long so I will wrap it up. We are still waiting for app 2 approval. One of our reference letters got lost in the mail and that is what we are waiting on. Reminding myself every day that God has it under control and that there has been a small delay because he sees that there needs to be.
By the way, potty training my strong willed Kinzlee this weekend..... A couple of extra prayers if you have them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I see my typo- my iPad is not letting me edit the post. The sentence should read, "he was ready to talk". Sorry!
ReplyDeleteAnother Typo. December 5, 2011 not 2001. Not very often I get to point out typos. lol
ReplyDeleteAhhh typed a comment and it ate it!!!
ReplyDeleteAnyway - love your story of your own journey / decision - ours is similar - except we never finished our Dave Ramsey plan and felt called after our church studied "Radical" by David Platt
And we can sympahize with the delay our app 2 was delayed almost a month due to our guardianship letter missing a signature ;(
Hey - do you have an Ian? Our 4 yr old is Iain ;)
Keeping you all in our prayers also
Blessings
Janice (& Ken) Willis
(another dillon (Korea) family)
;)
We actually didn't even do the Dave Ramsey class then (we are now). At that time, we felt we were doing ok with our finances but later decided we could do so much better. We are so glad that we decided to do financial peace the next time it was offered at our church- it has been a huge blessing to us! Yes, we do have and Ian and he is four also! I will try to post some pictures of them in the next couple of days. I have been reading your blog- it is so good to be able to relate with someone in the same place! Good luck with your garage sale!! Prayers to you!
ReplyDeleteLove hearing yalls heart! Praying this moment for you to receive word quickly on your app. Also praying for your baby:)
ReplyDeleteHow did the PTing go?